May 1, 2012

Tuesday Project Party: Buried in Clutter w/Three Weeks to Clear It!

Get out your "to-do" list, roll up your sleeves,
share the ongoing fruits of your labor, and encourage others along the way!
Click HERE to get started!

OK, this is ALWAYS the worst part of doing a Project Party on a blog, for everyone to see. But when we admit our struggles to folks who care, we usually find encouragement and uplifting on the other end, right? Right! So here it is, friends...I'm buried in STUFF.

Not just your everyday, common-variety stuff. This is very specific stuff. I'm buried in years and years of used homeschool curriculum, which is in stacks and in boxes all over the place, trying to get organized to sell.

This job has been looming large on my horizon for months now...so large that, with everything else that's been going on, it's been "paralyzing" me. You know how when you're SO busy, as stretched as you are capable of being stretched, and then something MORE happens, and you can no longer do even the simplest of things? That's what happened to me just over a month ago. I had pulled TONS of homeschool books and binders and papers out of the main closet, and spread them out over 2 rooms to start "organizing" them for sale and/or storage.

In the "library..."

In the guest bedroom...
Things were such a mess that I told my dh to call his mom and ask her to join us for dinner out, since I couldn't find my kitchen, LOL! He did, and when we went to pick her up, that's when we carried her out to the car and took her to the E.R., and she ended up in the ICU, then in a rehab facility for 2 weeks, and then into assisted living. Her house was a mess, and I got that cleaned out, and then I ended up too exhausted to function for a week.

In my little office...

More in my little office...

Another box in my little office...

In the basement...

More curriculum to be sorted through in the basement...

As the homeschool shelves are cleared, I have storage for my canning jars :-D
Now that we've moved my MIL out of her home of 55 years and into a one-room assisted living apartment...I'm also buried in stuff that's left HER house and moved into MY house, and...
Once again...I'm buried in PAPER since I've recently done my parents' taxes for them (I handle all of their financial affairs and bill-paying).

My goal of "unburying" myself within three weeks has two things driving it:
1) BRYAN IS COMING HOME on May 17th!!! His college commencement ceremony is Friday the 18th, and on Saturday the 19th, I am hosting a Graduation Open House here for Nathan's homeschool high school graduation...and we'll be "quietly honoring" Bryan, too (Bryan got a high school grad open house party back in Jan. 2011). With all the paper and books and binders laying around, I have no place for people!

2) My sweet hubby has finally agreed that it is time to downsize after we do this open house! We've been blessed with a spacious home for these last 12 years, but it is really becoming too much to keep up, and we'd rather downsize and maybe be able to kiss mortgage payments "goodbye" than to stay here as
empty-nesters. Once Bryan finishes his apprenticeship next spring, he'll buy or rent farmland, Lord willing...either way, once he has livestock, he won't be coming home to us for holidays...we'll be going to him, wherever he is! So de-cluttering the shelves and closets of all the homeschool stuff is only the start of the "clearing out" we need to start doing.

How about you? Is there a project that you need some motivation to tackle? Write a post and tell us what it is that you want to accomplish, then link your post below so I can follow your progress and encourage you! Perhaps we can check in via cbox during the week, with messages of encouragement! I know I can use it :-)



Leave a note...I love to hear from you!

Subscribe via email for blog updates: CLICK HERE to subscribe

6 comments:

allisamazing said...

Just finished a big project - transforming our school room into a sitting/guest room. Our school room had 14 years of accumulation so it took quite a while to sort & organize. I am so glad it's done.

Illinois Lori said...

Ooooh, can you post a picture or two of it and link up here? I'd LOVE to see it!
~Lori

morningstar said...

Lori I just cannot imagin going through all the school stuff and knowing it is finished! I would cry a lot! I am down to one next year and know in two years I will be where you are. I have been homeschooling for 21 years...thats a career! A lifetime really.

Jennifer Hoots said...

This is a huge and stressful situation you've got there. I will pray for you! So glad you had time to let us know how things are doing. Your plan to downsize sounds wonderful! One step at a time!

Tina said...

I thought I was done with home schooling forever. The youngest finished this year. Well, we adopted two years ago, so we are currently preparing for PRESCHOOL! Yup, preschool after having SEVEN other children grown and gone. It's a weird journey to be sure. Soon, I will be converting the 18 year old's old bedroom into a school room and my office into a guest room. It will be a HUGE project, but I am really looking forward to it this summer.

Thanks for stopping by. I am so excited that you are resurrecting Friday Farm Girls! I, too, have been struggling with keeping regular with blogging ever since we adopted Avery. Something about the whole newborn thing and exhaustion that put the skids on my blogging.

I am looking forward to this new journey and sharing it, even if it's just the two of us. :)

Tina said...

I did my first Friday Farm Girl post for 2012! I shared it in your Mr. Linky for your Thursday Projects since it's not displaying the Mr. Linky for your previous Friday Farm Girl post. There is a 'blog owner' message there about upgrading to display more than one Mr. Linky at a time. So, hope you get it either way. Have a lovely weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...