July 15, 2011

Friday FarmGirls@ Heart...CROP FAILURE!!!

"There is rhythm to being a farmgirl. It is the rhythm of working hard when there is work to be done. It is the rhythm of finding joy in the "doing" of the work. It is also the rhythm of slowing down to enjoy each moment." 
~
Rene Groom

To join the Fun of Friday FarmGirls@Heart, please include a link to my blog in your post, or grab one of my FFG buttons for your posts and to place in your sidebar! You can grab code HERE.



Weeeee-elllll, what can I say? Guess I'm really just a FarmGirl at heart, afterall! For the 2nd year in a row, my patio-grown veggie garden is a failure. Three years ago, I had delicious romaine lettuce ALL SUMMER, plenty of green beans, and small but plentiful patio tomatoes.

This year's line-up of failures:
Bok Choy (I don't know how to grow this stuff...it never got big, and then flowered. I tried to break off the blooms, but they got faster than me).











Sugar Snap Peas (the real heartbreakers...we got 19 spectacular, sweet snaps, which we stir-fried for 10 seconds in olive oil and just a pinch of salt. I wanted a hundred of these!).










Romaine Lettuce (got too crowded in there while we were in Florida...never got big, and what's here is tough and bitter).











There are two things that I think happened here. First, I didn't get enough fertilizer in the pots. Second, I know that when I had my bumper crops initially, I used the soil from Garden Supply Company that was specially made for self-watering containers, which is what these are. I didn't want to pay to ship that stuff the last couple of years, and I also wanted to use "organic soil," which you can buy at hardware stores now.

I have, to my GREAT disgust, learned that the famous brandname's "organic" potting soil is treated human manure. That sure isn't what I thought I was buying! So next year, my patio pots will have the soil I used the first time around, and plenty of fertilizer mixed in that.

THAT SAID, all is not lost...we have a bumper crop of sweet, delicious raspberries. The last two days Nathan and I have picked enough for our family to have a full ramekin of these red treasures with our supper, plus lots more. I plan to make little hand-pies with them...our favorite treat! We have 3 raspberry bushes that have matured over the last 5 or 6 years. We get two harvests from them...the first and largest in early July, the second in about September. What a scrumptuous blessing!



Did you:
♥Grow it yourself?
♥Make it in your kitchen using REAL FOOD (not processed food product)?
♥Make it with your own two hands instead of buying it at ***-Mart?
♥Do something with your way of life that's connected you back to this beautiful green earth (what's left of it, anyway!) that God has given us?

If so, you've got the Heart of a FarmGirl, whether you live in the country,
the city, or the suburbs!
Share your doings in a post today, and link it here to join Friday FarmGirls@Heart! 

Here's how to join the fun:
1) Grab an FFG (Friday FarmGirls) Button for your blog and post it in your sidebar so others can join with you. I have 6 styles you can choose from, and you can get code HERE.


2) Write your post and publish it on Friday...be sure to put your FFG Button at the top of your post, and link it to my blog ( http://www.illinoislori.blogspot.com/ ) so your friends will know where to come to join in each week.

3) Add your name and the URL of your post to the "Mister Linky" provided at the end of my post each week.

4) Leave me a comment, and visit the blogs of the other participants listed and leave them comments as well. If you visit and leave comments, you'll be visited and receive comments...it's as simple as that!



Leave a note...I love to hear from you!
Subscribe via email for blog updates: CLICK HERE to subscribe

2 comments:

Canadagirl said...

Oh there is always so much to learn and learn each year. And sadly sometimes I have had to relearn b/c I forgot. ((blush))

Just keep trying and don't give up! I am glad you had a success with your raspberries. [o= What a blessing.


Blessings and ((HUGS))
-Mary

Sharity said...

Hi, Lori! So sorry about your patio garden....but those raspberries look wonderful! Enjoy!

Blessings!
Sharity

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...